Now I See: Intermission - Hope InThe Hopeless

I think I had to force myself to login and type out this post for the blog, but I guess its probably worth the effort incomparison to me logging in to Restaurant City instead (Actually, I have it open in the background - 2 birds with 1 stone ROFL). I was glad that Kenny asked us to share about the visit to the Cheshire Home just yesterday, and I'm so glad that I decided to bring the guys along because at first, the whole event would probably been just passed by. Since most of the CF guys are not familiar with the host for the event, I guess I'll give a bit of a background story to the whole thing.


The visit was organized by Wewang Care Society, a newly formed organization in 2009 to care for the less fortunate or those who needed it in any way. What makes Wewang different is that the community is mostly non-existent - In other words, its an online community forum. Essentially, this is how I got introduced to Wewang.com about one year ago. I first assisted them to design some Flash banners for their website, e.g. new year, valentines and such. Unfortunately the forums were entirely in Chinese, so I could never get into any discussion for obvious reasons. During this time, I only knew one person I call Mr. Bong who has been my connection to Wewang for the past year.


Heres the interesting part of the story - After about half a year, I kinda lost contact with Mr. Bong who also stopped making requests for the website. That was until early this year when Wewang held an appreciation dinner, which I almost missed entirely (as I somehow forgot I was invited to the dinner. All thanks to Mr. Bong for reminding me that night LOL). During this dinner was when I realized that Wewang and had the big step to become official - It was registered during the time I was 'away' and now, they were looking forward to making Wewang a full-fledged charity organization. I liked the whole idea, as the concept was very different from other charity organizations. Wewang was formed by many normal working people, professionals and students who discussed various matters online. And these people came together in an attempt to realize the idea into something 'touchable', which to me is a great step forward. Wewang is now based in Kuching, but is supported from all over Malaysia and Singapore and wherever the forums reach. Its funds are gained via donations made directly via the online members and those on the ground.


As with any new organization, Wewang also has its struggles to expand its movement and to touch more lives in the process. It was over the dinner that I told Mr. Bong that I could help him bring some people to be involved in their activities and visits - He just had to give us the channels, and I would try to bring the community. Well, that's how it went. They were unable to provide transportation last minute, so thank God I had my family's trusty Avanza : ) Well, that's all about Wewang and the strange guys and gals in the blue white shirts. Honestly, I'm not sure if there may be hidden agendas under the formation of the organization, but well, if its a channel that we can still learn from, I guess its ok. But I will try my best not to be ignorant as well. Still I believe the motive is pure from what I've perceived so far, so I think its O-K. : p





So getting to the main point (Yeah I know I probably tend to talk a lot - Call me Uncle next time ROFL) - This was the first time I visited the Cheshire Home, so of course, I was expecting something similar to the Kota Sentosa 'Asylum', but I was a little surprised. As I stepped in it seemed almost as if I were stepping into a world of its own, totally disconnected from the world outside just meters across the fence. For a moment, as I looked at the scenery (Rather the surroundings), I had this strange sense of serenity - And the strange feeling in the spirit that "Everything is fine here." This was probably due to my nature to pick up 'dark' vibes coming from any place - I know I tend to be moody especially in challenging environments (My assumptions, that is).


And that's where the fun was - In meeting the people of course. It was as always (since its not my first time visiting places for the less fortunate) a situation which I was at a loss for words. Sitting in front of me were people whom I knew needed care and love. People like you and I, with feelings, dreams, thinking patterns, desires, etc like you and I. People who are no different than us in the soul and spirit (minus physical I guess). And it was in this situation, I once again was reminded of the evil within as described by Kenny in his sharing as well - Of how selfish and self-righteous we are, that we become so stubborn and refuse to listen to anyone other than ourselves. For a while I walked around, unable to actually make any reaction or to adjust or event attempt to do anything as I tried to contemplate the situation. This feeling is hard to describe, but I'm sure everybody would have experienced it somewhere there - the invisible 'gap' between us and them. And it was truly a heavy burden, and as always, I got overcome with despair - The feeling that no matter what we did, there was really nothing much we could do to help them. Perhaps we could cheer them up for a day, but they will be there for 365 days a year. It was then I was proven wrong.


My human end wanted to cry for these people, to sympathize for them and try to help them. But there was this quiet and almost silent voice telling me, "Its not that you can't do anything for these people. Its not like they needed you." And it was true. When I saw them smile, for the first time (I don't think its first but that is what it felt like, emotions tend to carry us away haha) I was delivered a full package of joy in an instant. My spirit senses was right - We did not need to do anything for them really. These people were happy, content - and in a world of their own. Free of our world. Our world of pain, our world of stress, our world of death. Here in this little world, everything was life. For a moment, I saw God in the whole picture. For the very rare times, I saw family as God intended. I saw love as He intended. And I could not find a trace of hatred, a trace of prejudice or even sadness (Well, perhaps a little, I did see some of the patients in despair especially some of those who were left in the wards, but that was not the point I was trying to understand).


As mentioned by many visitors there, it gives us a reminder to appreciate all the little things in life. As I looked through the photo albums and materials on display, I saw the disabled taking on a life of their own. These people were far from the less fortunate we tend to see them. They were involved and active in so many more things than we would imagine. It is out of our human nature that the 'kesian' part is actually us looking down on them, assuming that they are disabled that they cannot do certain things that we feel that we should sympathize with them!


One of the most interesting individuals I met was probably this guy called Pancho (I was really glad Lionel got his number hahaha) who apparently learned how to make little beady key-chains (Gigantic in some cases) by weaving nylon strings with beads and tying them in certain shapes. What really touched me was the time I was browsing through his 'catalog' of key-chains. After I found out that they were selling the key-chains as souvenirs, (and thanks to a free key chain, so I had money to spend more ;p) so I stooped over his pile and asked him if I could buy one. And he responded so eagerly almost like a child, and I looked around for something interesting. As I picked up each piece, he identified each one, e.g. mouse, or sth sth and what really amazed me was his reaction when I finally decided to take one (For another reason because my guard was growing weak by now, if you know what I mean ;p ). He literally burst out in joy with one of the biggest smiles I've probably seen in a long time out of the corner of my eye. I tried not to look at him in the eye for fear of bawling in front of everyone (Which is not so good for my f-a-c-e). I realized that this fella had more heart than most of us over there. It was truly an amazing sight to behold - As Jesus' words came back to mind, "to be like a child". I then passed him the ten bucks for the key-chain. Well, here's a little funny part to it - The price tag was RM8, so well, yeah you know. I wanted to give him all the ten bucks, but I just couldn't help it but wonder if I was going to get change LMAO. I had to slap myself several times to knock that out - but I saw something so different compared to other people when you give them money - First they look at the color, then the figure then they keep. This guy had no idea or at the very least he didn't care what I gave him. He even asked me to just take what I liked. Apparently, currency has no value in a charity home (duh...). But this guy reminded me of a lot of core values I know our society has abandoned. I have very very rarely, if not never seen any grown-up outside such a home with such a pure heart.


Joy was something that was prevalent throughout the visit. My human side was in despair, trying to figure out how I could help these guys, how I could change something for them - But while I was worrying, I realized that the joy being radiated from these souls were truly the real deal. I don't think I would want to expose them to the kind of shiet we have out there. It was more like I wanted to protect these people and the place they live in. To preserve the kind of environment Christians envision in the world someday. While not everybody there was happy, I knew that this place was a treasure. And when Lionel took Pancho's number, I knew we must come back again some day. I know I can't get to know somebody just to leave them behind and never come back.


At some point in time, our human souls will fall into despair. In my definition, that is when the human nature truly dies. If I were to describe it, I would say I would rather die than live to see this world in the way it is. That's what my human soul is saying. Though, the spirit is different, as it is driven by God, and the spirit drives the soul, and the body - So in the end, my despair is probably sourcing from the nagging dying body - but perhaps that thorn in the flesh might continue to give me a reality check every now and then. I feel its necessary to remember our roots I guess.


We live in a world where pain and suffering reigns. There are many more people like those in the home who have not been so lucky, who have been caught in the crossfires of our society. There are many more in much greater suffering, much greater pain, and much more difficult situations out there that we must brace ourselves to be ready for service whenever and wherever He calls. I am glad that such homes are being operated by saints of all religions and various backgrounds. These are the 'medic stations' for the victims who have been rescued. We need to keep our eye open for those who are still wounded and left to die on the battlefield. Its a message that we need to draw ever closer to God, the only source who can empower us with the capacity to care for others in the same way Jesus did. It is only in that capacity can one truly understand what is the meaning of love.


There were a lot more individuals in the home that day which I did not mention here, so as to shorten an already extremely long post. I would probably summarize that every human being, you me and him, are all made the same, and seen equal in God. We all have the same mind, the same soul, the same spirit, the same needs, the same emotions. Every one of the less fortunate out there are like us. Imagine if we were in their shoes for a day.. Perhaps it would be the most boring day ever, or the most difficult and agonizing? (You do realize they also need to go to the loo right?) And they live through that day by day, the same way we live through a different type of messes each day.


As heavy as my heart was, I knew that these guys at the home and found the secret to happiness. They found out a lot of truths as God intended it to be. And its constantly a great reminder to us to count our blessings, and more importantly, to know our place in God - that we are not much more different than our neighbor. And more importantly, to truly have these people as role models for us to live as - they deserve the highest form of respect and praise - and yet we are inclined to look down and sympathize with them. It is we who truly need their help in some ways.




Dez


No comments: